Thread: Help!! Arowana floating and not swimming

Country
    Malaysia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Help!! Arowana floating and not swimming

Help.. My arowana is not swimming around and is always on top of the tank with the tail abit out of water. I did a 50% water change 2 days ago but I don’t see much difference. I was told to add some salt and heater in the tank. I’m still unsure about this since they didn’t really tell what’s wrong with my fish nor the reason for it to be like that. What should I do now and why is my arowana suddenly like that?

Country
    Singapore

Liked 369 Times in 306 Posts
    Nobody will be able to tell you what's wrong with your aro or why suddenly it behaves like that!

You are the owner; you should know best what had happened. Trace back (recall) your actions, and what you had done to cause your aro in this way.

Why do the 50% water change? Why add (some) salt and heater? How much salt to add? As fish keepers, we need to know why we are doing these.

Asking so many "harsh" questions is to allow you to ponder and learn. There are no pictures, no information about your aro i.e. size of fish, tank setup, etc., even an expert is hard to tell you what's wrong with your aro and hard to diagnose its symptoms.

Country
    Malaysia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Bruce, thanks for the comment. So far I was caring my arowana the same way I was caring for the past 5-6 years and this is the very first time I'm encountering this kind of problem with em. I was told to add heater to maintain the water temp since its raining almost every single day here and the water temp might go too low for the fish. Water change was as my usual routine as I will do water change every 2 weeks once. The salt not so sure since a local fish store owner advised me to put the salt as some medication sort of thing for arowana. My tank is 6 feet X 2.5 feet X 2.5 feet and the fish is about 10 years old or so. The previous owner told it was 5 years old when I bought em and its been 6 years since I have the fish. As far as I remember, the arowana suddenly jumped and hit the aquarium cover once before it started behaving like this. Something might have spooked em I guess but I couldn't figure out what is it because I was the only one near his tank that time. I tried to attach a short video of my fish in the post but I don't know how. It would be helpful if you could advice me on how to post the picture/video in the comments.
    Last edited by Dev; 16th October 2019 at 11:54 AM.

Country
    Singapore

Thank you for your prompt reply bro

I only know how to post pics but not video. There are instruction guides in this forum and they are self-explanatory. You may read up from there.

Glad that my questions allow you to ponder and recall, and you are able to provide me with more "insights" to your aro's health.

According to what you said, your aro should be an adult. Adding heater, not only is to maintain water temp, it also helps to increase its metabolism hence may help fish to recover faster. Adding salt promotes a more "relaxing" water environment for the fish; stress-free for the fish, reducing osmotic pressure in the water, inhibiting the uptake of toxic nitrates, supporting the production of their protective slime coat and helping to heal wounds more quickly.

In short, it encourages osmotic regulation or osmoregulation. You may read up more from books or internet. It simply helps the fish to preserve energy hence with more energy (strength/health), it recovers faster or have a higher chance of fighting off the sickness/disease.

I suspect your aro may have injure its spine/back from the freak accident. Give it time to rest and recover. Priority is to maintain good water parameters and to reduce further stress. Blackwater may have a calming effect. As long as fish is still alert or active or swimming, no eating at the meantime is fine. Giving vitamins may be helpful too.

My 2 cents only. Hope it helps. Cheers

Country
    Malaysia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    TBH I just know the actual use of the things I’ve been asked to add/put in my aro tank.I’ll try to add blackwater as soon as I can. Still doing researches in the net and reading some forums and all. Really appreciate your comments and the informations you’ve given. Thank you so much bro?? Hope my aro can recover as fast as it can

Country
    Singapore

It's my pleasure sharing and able to help.

Yours is an adult so should be more robust and hardy than a juvenile. Hope it recovers soon. Cheers

Thread Information