PDA

View Full Version : 9 rules for new comm arowana player

gtohow
1st October 2010, 02:43 PM
many wanted to try arowana community tank... but how?

1) mentally prepare
single grooming is very much different from comm.
there's a lot of factors to consider; finance problem, timing, comm aro is never as beauty as single grooming, always lot of injuries of torn fins and scales drop...etc
in the beginning it's dun looking very appealing, but once succeed, it's a different feeling from single grooming. if u r not mentally preparing for injuries or death, best don't comm.

2) filtration system

before keeping arowana, understand water parameter first. good water parameter required good water filtration. do prepare some budget to invest in good filtration for effectiveness and management. even u have a best aro in ur hand, if it get sick due to water, u'll suffer even harder.

3) choice of arowana

Arowana is a territorial species. once it's in new environment, it take some time to get used. Same goes to arowana community, it requires time to adapt with new place and current aros, some are easy-going (of course higher chance to comm), what if super aggressive, how(discuss later)? also need to consider size of the aro for comm; difference must not be too much different, best is estimate ard the same size by 1 inch. also types of aro to be comm, Imo, green and xb are pretty aggressive but then it's still goes down to their characteristic. Comm keep have to made an effort to find their peace solution then.

4) space problem
many mention bigger space the better, IMO opposite. a periodical process of aro community; fight - recovery - swim peace. possible but very small chance of those who succeed in one shot(very lucky!); majority issue, as the time pass by, community aro tend to swim side by side, this breaks up its defensive and territorial mindset. many hobbyists saw wen aro fights, both tend to fight in circle and bite, a smaller space limited the chance of fight club. as it grow bigger, slowly increase their space movement, wait till there's no fight, ur basic peaceful comm is succeed.

5) food issue
hungry man is always an angry man... so is aro! at the beginning of comm, sufficient food is very important key. when aro are full, it reduce higher percent of fight.
choice of food is very important specially those that likely will increase the fighting spirit like centipede.. as long comm aro is not hungry, lesser chance of fighting for hunger..

6) bio-load
Community tank is very much harder to handle than single grooming; eat more, shit more. aro leftover food and wastes require to clear asap, else it will affect the water parameter in short period. more regular check on ur filtration system and frequent water change depend on how hard working is the keeper. healthy fish come with good water parameter.

7) fight club
when stating community tank, fight is very common sight, unpreventable. often after fight, there's a new boss in the house!
practically, as boss is chosen, it will not bully it's subordinates. when subordinates fight among themselves, again the second boss appear..
just like big boss, 2nd bro, 3rd bro.. so on.once community tank is succeed, u likely will notice that the most beauty and arrogant would be the big boss..
first to eat, first to swim.
during fight, unpreventive of torn and tear but it's ok, however if serious injuries like fresh meat appear, immediate treatment(quarantine) is required!
also as along the fight club, water parameter is very important, bad water parameter will worsen the injuries.
Many will look for possible ways to reduce fight - frankly depend on aro's characteristic.. close monitor of every aro like (which is most fierce, which is weakest)
when both fight, push away the weaker one away (u r telling the weaker one, u r no match, walk off!) wat happen if it sink at the bottom, no worry, it's resting, as it recover, fight will start again.. sometime it depend how many fights can u see? cannot.(don't comm!)

8) terminate and adding
As aro grow bigger, there's possible that it does not reach ur expectation... how? 1 to 1 exchange... but fight club start allover again!
new aro should be partition at isolated area first, after few weeks, mix with current comm, fight club is able to start.
current comm aro will monitor/test the new bird's threats of territorial, if it's don't show much of it, peace! if new bird start flaring, fight process with start. this period of time need to monitor if the new bird required to be re-isolated again. this process need to repeat until new aro understand the rules of comm.

9) Emotions
aro is very much emotional species, it able to understand his owner feeling, so as community arowanas. the more time owner spend time with it, include touching / feeling with it, the more stable and bonds in-built. it's also a form of communication. just like between animals, after a period of time, arowanas able to understand u better and react according to ur action. eg: before feeding, u knock the glass a while (feed at a regular place, just like knocking glass at the same spot) so next time when u know the glass, the aro will just come forward..

DAme tired.. i continue later...:(

yangibear
1st October 2010, 07:19 PM
waiting eagerly for ur update bro...

mohamed_ali_j
3rd October 2010, 09:57 PM
Something to think about before starting a comm.. not all succeed.
Great input.
Cheers mate..!!

yoAro
6th October 2010, 09:55 PM
Wah, thinking of trying out comm...now seems like got lots of factors to consider....

Derrick81
13th October 2010, 02:27 PM
Thk for sharing. Thinkin of doin comm aros.

poseidon
27th October 2010, 02:25 PM
thanks for sharing ...

i am not mentally prepared for injury ..comm project drop for me...

wfs
27th October 2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for sharing

Cow36
27th October 2010, 05:11 PM
Great thread for comm to be hobbyist to consider before embarking on aro comm.
For me, personally after trying out my previous RTG comm, i think i would just want to do solo aro keeping for now.
No doubt comm keeping has it own satisfaction and other feel good factors.

Maybe for me, after seeing so many bros's niece showpiece of aro so decided to keep solo to admire aro's full beauty without torn fins.
That's just me.... :)

gtohow
28th October 2010, 10:26 AM
Great thread for comm to be hobbyist to consider before embarking on aro comm.
For me, personally after trying out my previous RTG comm, i think i would just want to do solo aro keeping for now.
No doubt comm keeping has it own satisfaction and other feel good factors.

Maybe for me, after seeing so many bros's niece showpiece of aro so decided to keep solo to admire aro's full beauty without torn fins.
That's just me.... :)

believe not only u....
at least it help hobbists to have a better idea of mind preparation for comm what to expect..

poseidon
28th December 2010, 09:55 AM
many wanted to try arowana community tank... but how?

4) space problem
many mention bigger space the better, IMO opposite. a periodical process of aro community; fight - recovery - swim peace. possible but very small chance of those who succeed in one shot(very lucky!); majority issue, as the time pass by, community aro tend to swim side by side, this breaks up its defensive and territorial mindset. many hobbyists saw wen aro fights, both tend to fight in circle and bite, a smaller space limited the chance of fight club. as it grow bigger, slowly increase their space movement, wait till there's no fight, ur basic peaceful comm is succeed.

DAme tired.. i continue later...:(

Hi bro .... any more updates?

itchy hand liao...

Does water level = space ?
LFS owners told that you can lower the tank water level and throw in a wave maker to start a comm of aros
I had also seen in the LFS that the water level in his FGT is pretty low ...

But low water level means difficult to maintain the water quality right....
What else to look at ?

thanks ar...

situs-sk2
5th January 2011, 01:22 PM
Powerful writeup of Aro comm, you have my respect bro. A very useful informations and guidelines for the hobbyists going for comm, Thumbs Upz

average_cc
6th January 2011, 06:29 AM
Powerful writeup of Aro comm, you have my respect bro. A very useful informations and guidelines for the hobbyists going for comm, Thumbs Upz

I agree with bro situs-sk2...very informative guidelines.....tks Micheal......;)

damo2010
1st June 2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks dude. Very useful info. Cheers!!

FanAromatic
2nd June 2013, 07:28 PM
Nice write up.. camp here to read more of your experience. Cheers.

Benedict Chew
4th June 2013, 06:59 PM
bro i have read and i think i am not able to sustain my comm any longer the fighting is damn hurting la.. i may soon put some of my rtg up for sale .. any takers

rtgaroaro
6th June 2013, 11:56 PM
thanks for the thread bro! very well penned informations... can add in a few suggestions?
numbers..
numbers of aro used to comm is also a factor. imagine 2 pc comm while the alpha keeps attacking the weaker pc or in a 5pcs comm, 4 of the weaker ones get to cushioned some blows each from the alpha. so there will have some injuries too but lesser each as compared to 1 on 1 sparing.

lower tank water (not applicable to sump tank setup)..
lower tank water = reducing tank's space thus cramping them closer with lesser space to fight = lesser chance of fight taking place.

add tankmate..
less aggressive tankmate like kkp, ff, silver dollars, etc (mid tank swimmers are also good to waive off the attention spend on aro to aro. providing more "traffic lights" in the tank itself.

frequent water change..
it's not only about ammonia that wc is needed more frequent, it's about the hormones each aro produced in his/her marked space as territory... just like dogs uses his/her urinated spot to mark territory... a wave maker or sub power head will be good to blow off such territory markings. still best to change the marked water more frequently. with that will also increase the appetites.

lights..
keeping a single aquarium light tube on 24/7 is also quite helpful as it can calm the comm with better vision of their surrounding, just imagine in the dark environment one tends to put up a higher defensive behaviour then in bright daylight, same goes for territorial animals.

just what I been doing since my first failed comm.. I cannot do without a comm. :)

Humongous
7th June 2013, 10:59 AM
dont comm beautiful fishes..... else regrets...

Dayne
7th June 2013, 11:21 PM
wow good read!! thx bro